Another simple recipe for you today… It’s one that I’m almost embarrassed to post because it’s so ridiculously easy, but, you know what? Easy recipes are the ones that I like best and since this is a recipe I probably make at least once every month, I figure I should finally share it with all of you! This 4-Layer Taco Dip is quick to make, goes over well with everyone in my family, and I almost always have all the ingredients on hand to throw it together! And if you’re looking for something to serve at a Super Bowl party this upcoming weekend, this would be a good one! I’ll admit, we watch the Super Bowl…but it’s for the commercials, not the actual game. 🙂
This is seriously so simple…
- Approx. 2 cups Slow Cooker Taco Beans OR 1 can organic refried beans
- 1 lb ground beef (local, grass-fed is best - I buy mine from Seven Sons)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 T homemade Taco Seasoning
- Cheese, freshly shredded*
- Garnishments: organic tortilla chips, shredded lettuce (organic is best, if you can find it...or just chop up your own head of lettuce), chopped tomato, and sour cream.**
- Brown ground beef in skillet until cooked through.
- Add water and taco seasoning and stir to combine.
- Meanwhile, scoop taco/refried beans into a microwave safe baking dish and cover with lid.
- Heat for 2 minutes to warm up.
- Spread evenly in the bottom of the dish.
- Add ground beef mixture.
- Then sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Warm up in the microwave (covered) until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Garnish individual servings with lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sour cream and tortilla chips.
The layers, in pictures…
If I make this for dinner, I usually serve it with my Cheesy Taco Brown Rice. And another great thing about this dip? It makes so much that we always eat it two nights in a row…which means I get a free pass from cooking dinner the 2nd night! Yay! (I realize as my kids get older and their appetites increase, my days of stretching dinners out over two meals will come to an end.)
*Have you ever wondered why all my recipes that call for cheese always say ‘freshly shredded?’ I don’t buy bags of shredded cheese anymore because they ALL contain some type of anti-caking ingredient. Usually this ingredient is cellulose. Even though this is technically a ‘natural’ ingredient (cellulose comes from wood pulp)…it’s not something I really care to eat. So, I shred my own cheese… every single time I need it. My husband thinks it’s a big pain, but I really don’t mind (especially since I just throw my cheese grater in the dishwasher after every use). And I actually think the cheese tastes fresher this way!! If you’re still buying packaged shredded cheese, check out the ingredients…and then try shredding your own from a block of cheese next time. It will actually save you money too!
**Sour cream can be a tricky food if you don’t watch the ingredients closely. The Kroger brand we used to buy is filled with all sorts of unnecessary artificial ingredients (like modified corn starch, cultured dextrose, gelatin, sodium phosphate, guar gum, carrageenan, sodium citrate, calcium sulfate and locust bean gum)! Wow…that’s a lot of ingredients. Sour cream should be made from only cultured cream. Recently, I’ve been buying the Daisy brand, but I’m starting to switch over many of our dairy products to organic versions. Last time I was at Whole Foods, I bought organic sour cream, so we’re going to try that soon! I’m not sure if I’ll be able to easily buy this every time we need sour cream (because the closest Whole Foods is an hour and a half away!), but I may be able to find another organic brand somewhere else, locally. We shall see!
Note: My daughter just saw the photo of this 4-Layer Taco Dip and said, “Mmm… That sure was good!! Can you make it again sometime soon?” She really does love this dip…and so do we! 🙂