I made these Hashbrown Breakfast Egg Cups for our lunch over the past weekend. They really hit the spot for me and I know they could be made even more ‘exciting’ by varying up the veggies, which I plan to do next time I make them. I only added red bell peppers this time (because that’s all we had), but another option would be to add onion, spinach, asparagus, or mushrooms! And they freeze well, too. I tested this out by freezing one and then eating it for breakfast the next morning. I thawed it out at 50% power until it was hot; it tasted great! So, if you want, you could easily double this recipe and freeze several for breakfast (or lunch) for future busy days. It will barely take any extra time at all. And I love having food ready to go in the freezer…sure makes my life easier some days!
Plus, these are super easy to throw together (as seen in the photo collage below). 🙂
- 1 large white potato (washed, peeled, and shredded
- 2 T olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Diced veggies (bell peppers, onion, spinach, mushrooms, etc.)
- ⅓ cup cheese, freshly shredded
- 6 eggs (local, free-range is ideal - I buy mine from Seven Sons Farm)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 T milk (optional) - I used a splash of homemade cashew milk!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet.
- Add shredded potatoes and diced veggies.
- Salt potatoes.
- Saute over medium heat until potatoes are cooked through.
- Spray 12 muffin tins with an olive oil sprayer
- Lightly press potatoes into muffin cups.
- Sprinkle a little shredded cheese on top of each one.
- Whisk together eggs, milk (if using), and salt and/or pepper.
- Slowly pour eggs over the top of each muffin cup (dividing equally among all tins).
- Bake for 10 minutes (or until eggs are set).
The kids weren’t thrilled with these hashbrown breakfast egg cups for some reason. My daughter ate hers (but complained about it from the moment it was set in front of her) and one of my twin boys ate half of his (without any complaints). The other wouldn’t touch his. I never know what they’re going to eat from day to day! And while I’m typing up this post today, the boy that wouldn’t touch his at all? He looks at the picture on my computer screen and says, “Mmm! That looks yummy!” Go figure, right??? However, one thing was clear: they all LOVE bacon and had no problem gobbling their pieces down! 🙂
Have you ever cooked bacon in the oven? This was a totally new concept for me, but I loved how much easier this turned out to be…plus, even better, it was WAY less messy! You can see the method I used in this post on Seven Sons Family Farm’s blog: Home on the Pasture. (Yes, this is the same local farm that I buy all my meat, eggs, raw honey, and maple syrup from!)
Anyway, I really enjoyed these hashbrown breakfast egg cups and my husband said that he especially liked the potatoes in them, so at least a couple of us enjoyed the meal! I will definitely make them again…and, like I mentioned earlier, add a variety of veggies for a little extra flavor!!
If you enjoyed this recipe and would like more “real food” recipes delivered weekly to your inbox, you can sign up here:
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same, but Real Fit, Real Food Mom will earn a small commission (which helps to offset web hosting fees, maintenance, etc.). Your support is greatly appreciated!